Monday, February 20, 2012

Tea for Two

Earlier this week when I was heading to the city for my 2nd late night of work this week, the girls clung to me and followed me to my car wanting goodbye hugs and kisses.  I was running late and our carpenter had just arrived and needed to ask me some questions, so finally I had to just push the girls away and tell them firmly to go inside, which made Gwen cry, which made Whitney cry.  Ah, the guilt!     The carpenter, who had teenage kids of his own, commented on how it was really something the way the kids were so upset I was leaving as his kids no longer want anything to do with him.  That's when I realized it was time for some quality 1:1 time with the kids.  So, this weekend, Adam took Whitney out for a day at the toy store and book store, while I planned some girl time with Gwen, complete with shopping and a tea party.

First, we went dress shopping for a fancy tea party dress.  Gwen picked out two pink dresses and I picked out a few more, and we went into the dressing room to try them on.





The Winner!  This also happened to be
the first dress Gwen picked out.  She's got
an eye for fashion!
After finding the perfect fancy dress (Gwen wanted me to dress up too, but being 8 1/2 months pregnant, I had to settle for maternity jeans), we headed off to The French Bakery for a tea party.   I realized tea parties are sugar-fests - with a bowl full of sugar cubes at each table, scones with lemon curd, pastries and sandwiches with cream cheese and jam!   Gwen loved dressing up and her raspberry herbal tea, but after a while, wanted to run around and be silly.  I told her at a tea party, she needs to act like a little lady with good manners.  She replied - "I'm not a lady, I'm a kid".  When I explained that she still needs to be polite and sit still like everyone else because we were somewhere very fancy, she finished her brownie and said "Can we go now?".







No comments:

Post a Comment