Saturday, July 23, 2011

Swim Champ!

Today, we made a last minute decision to enter Gwen in her first official swim meet.  She has been swimming as a "mini-marlin" all summer, which is the non-competitive training-oriented program for mostly 4 and 5 years olds.  She has made great progress this summer and now can easily swim the length of the pool and loves to race.  So, last night when the Lees encouraged us to have to Gwen, we thought - why not?

As the only 4 years old swimming, Gwen, Danielle and Leyni got their own heat in the 6&Under freestyle category.  Here they are before their race.  I've realized that these swim meets are a LOT of waiting around.  Twice a week during the summer... I'm don't know if I'm ready for her to start being an official "Marlin".


The girls marked for their race.
The girls getting mentally prepared




Finally, it was the girls' turn to take their places on the blocks.  Gwen swam in the middle lane between Danielle and Leyni.  Here is Coach Mary giving her some last minute words of wisdom.




Danielle was first off the blocks and had an early lead.

Look at Gwen's great freestyle form!  Side breath, bended elbow.  I thought she was going to just doggie paddle
the whole way!


Gwen came from behind at the end and was first to touch the wall!

Giving Danielle a smile after the race.

Although she got off to a slow start, Gwen has great endurance and stays strong when the other kids start to tire.  Gwen ended up coming in 1st place in her heat, followed closely by Danielle and Leyni.  She hopped out of the pool and asked "Who won!?!"  I actually didn't know b/c it was so close and I was only looking at Gwen's lane trying to take pictures.  But, I hear she did - which made her very happy.  She's a competitive one!  I'll post the official times once they are up.

No comments:

Post a Comment