Gwen's been in fall swimming the past couple of months. While she's no soccer star, swimming is where Gwen excels and she loves it. Even on those cold, drizzly October days, when I'd just as soon skip swimming because I don't want to sit outside in my down coat and boots let alone get in the water, Gwen is always still up for practice.
This week, they decided to practice diving for a few minutes. I grew up swimming myself but have never been a strong diver - I would even say I have a diving phobia. In past meets, Gwen has always just jumped into the pool, so I assumed her first dives would be reminiscent of feet-first jumps or maybe even a belly flop if she actually attempted to dive for real. So, when I looked up to see Gwen on her 2nd dive attempt, I could hardly believe it when I saw her do a beautiful, arching, flop-free dive off the blocks, straight into a streamline. Oh, if only my iPhone hard drive weren't full because if anything was video-worthy, it was this!
Now, I'm proud of my kids every day, but seeing your kid do something even better than you could do yourself, looking like a real little competitive swimmer after 3 summers of minis, that's a full to the brim, smiling ear to ear form of pride reserved for these special moments! Watch out Missy Franklin!
No comments:
Post a Comment