Since babies go in for check-ups multiple times a year, I realize that I have more updates on Whitney than Gwen. So, here is Gwen's 4 1/2 year update.
Gwen is growing up so fast and I'm starting to see lots of my own personality traits in her. She is more shy and quiet than her sister (in public at least, at home, she is loud as can be, often screaming her head off about something), but has the capacity to focus and concentrate on things. She's been reading for a while now and is now reading Cat in the Hat and other books off the bookshelf. I can't quite say that she loves to read yet, she gets frustrated quickly when she doesn't know a word. But, if she's in the mood, and has the patience, she'll sound things out (and make me realize how phonetically incorrect most words are!) We've worked on her reading a lot over the years to get her where she is today. However, we haven't really spent any time on numbers and math, and I am impressed by her natural ability to add.
Gwen is very much an observer - when it's time to line up, she watches everyone scurry into place before she slowly walks over and joins them at the end of line. She observes the road while we're driving, pointing out things to me and shouting out "slugbug!" whenever we pass a VW bug. She is also a perfectionist and gets really upset if she tries to do something like draw a fish or write a letter and it doesn't look right. She also doesn't like it when she asks you a question and you give her the wrong answer.
Gwen likes to be a comedian and has recently learned the concept of "just kidding!" She likes to say something silly or outright false and then say "just kidding! hahaha.... Laugh."
Gwen's piano lessons are coming along slowly but surely. Even if I let a couple of weeks go by between lessons, she'll have remembered everything perfectly! She knows the quarter note, half note and can play simple lines with both hands at once. It's a challenge having mommy teach her b/c she can put on the sass and slap my hand away when I try to help her ("I can do it MYSELF!")
She still loves her princesses, although I can kind of see that obsession fading a bit. She no longer cries when you don't address her as Ariel. Gwen also loves a playdate. Her best friends are Jordan, Lola and Krystal (our 11 year old next door neighbor). She also has a ton of fun with our neighbor Danielle.
I may be biased, but I think she is such a little beauty with wide set eyes, arched eyebrows and high cheekbones. She's still super tall and slim - a supermodel in the making! If I could only learn how to style that wavy hair!


No comments:
Post a Comment