Monday, November 22, 2010

The 5 day playdate

As our new hardwood floors were being stained and sealed, we had to move out of our house for 4 nights and the Cecchins graciously let us stay with them.  5 kids and 4 adults in one house for 5 days seemed daunting, but it actually ended up being super fun.  Except for some sleep issues that popped up for Whitney (that have continued now that we have returned home - another round of sleep training might be in order here), the kids had a blast and I got to enjoy adult company during the day.  They say that it takes a village and that is so true.  I don't know why more families don't live together!

Tim and Sara's back yard was great for the kids to ride their bikes and scooters.  Before the rain hit, Gwen and Joey could often be found in the backyard riding bikes while the younger girls napped.  As nap time approached one day, Gwen and Joey really enjoyed telling Clara (over and over) "You have to take a nap, but Joey/Gwen and I don't have to take a nap.  You have to take a nap.  But we don't have to take a nap."  I was worried they were rubbing it in her face a little, but each time Clara would just happily say "I know!".  


More bike and scooter fun. 



Gwen and Joey became fast friends and at mealtime you could hear Joey saying "I want to sit next to Gwen".   And Gwen would often say "Joey is so funny".  One of the kids favorite games was running around the house laughing and screaming "Swiper, no swiping!".  Whitney loved running the the big kids - you'd see Joey run down the hall with Gwen and Clara at his heels, and then 5 feet behind would be Whitney running full sprint with a big smile on her face.  

Typical morning watching cartoons in their PJs
Gwen and Clara at one of their many tea parties


Ending the day winding down with Nick Jr.  

The weekend was rainy and ended up being pretty packed with activities.  We took advantage of one of the great things about living with another family - tag team babysitting!   On Saturday, Adam and I took Gwen, Whitney, Joey and Clara to the trampoline place while Tim and Sara went appliance shopping.   Getting them in the car was a feat in itself!  The kids loved bouncing away on the trampolines (duh) and even Whitney was a champion jumper!   There were some wipe-outs and I think every kid shed a tear at some point, but I think if you asked them, it was well worth it.  Then, that evening, Sara and Tim stayed home with Whitney while we did a late dinner at the Heidersbachs.

Gwen and Clara waiting to be put in the car.



Little video of Gwen and Whitney jumping.


We topped the weekend off with Lola Heinzl and Jack Gannon's birthday parties.  Little Lola there on the left is actually older than Gwen :).





A final dinner with the Cecchins at Celia's and the extended playdate was sadly over.  While there's something to be said about sleeping in a bed with no kids, I can hear Gwen downstairs right now saying "I want to go to Joey and Clara's house".

1 comment: