Thursday, December 30, 2010

Just call me Mrs. Weeks

Mrs. Weeks was my childhood piano teacher who taught me how to play starting at age 5.  I'm trying to remember how she taught me (minus the yelling and berating when students made mistakes - she was old school!) because tonight we brought home a Clarinova piano and I gave Gwen her first real piano lesson.   In one sitting, she knows how to find "C" and play a simple 5 key scale.  Great progress for a 4 year old!  She can play jingle bells using my own sheet music creation (writing 3-3-3 3-3-3 3-5-1-2-3 on a piece of paper).


Mommy had lots of fun teaching Gwen and also playing the piano herself.  It's amazing how the songs I played as a child (mostly Mozart, Beethoven and the like) all totally come back to you even after over 20 years of not playing!  I guess it's like riding a bike.

We are also enjoying the cool features of our digital piano.  I haven't learned even 2% of what this puppy can do, but am already appreciating the volume control as by the time it was assembled, Whitney was already in bed.

I now need to put together a lesson plan - Gwen's getting impatient to learn real songs rather than practice her scales and fingering.  I'm also excited for her to be able to play a song so we'll see if we can stay disciplined!

1 comment: