Thursday, January 6, 2011

4 year old English

Gwen was playing with her letter magnets the other day and she spelled A-R-I-E-L.  She then wanted to write King Triton, so she sounded out "king".  "Kuh, kuh..." she said, and grabbed the "C".  "Eee-Eee..." she thought and grabbed the "E".  She ended up writing "C-E-I-N-N".  We told her - what about the "Guh" sound?  She replied "There's no 'guh' in king... it's 'keen', not 'keen-guh'."

Gwen gets very frustrated with the complexities of the English language.  The other day, she was naming words that start with "J".  "Jordan starts with J, Juice starts with J, Jumping starts with J, Dress starts with J..."  I interrupted to tell her that Dress starts with the letter D.  She disagreed and after some back and forth, she got very upset.. "No it doesn't!  Dress doesn't start with a D!  It's Juh-ress, not Duh-ress!!".

No comments:

Post a Comment